Monday, September 7, 2009

Soccer and Pottery

Thing number 23 was to see a professional soccer game. This took a little bit of coordination - unlike baseball where you can pretty much see a home game any week of the season, it seems the soccer teams only play a few times a month, even fewer times at home, and mostly on Sundays. But as luck would have it the LA Galaxy were scheduled to play in DC on a lovely wet Saturday. With even more luck our seats were under the upper level, so we didn't get wet. It was a great time with noise makers, drums, jumping fans, and of course, David Beckham! (Coincidentaly, Beckham's number is 23.) Unfortunately, our camera battery ran out and we didn't get to take many photos of him, I mean the game. ;)

Josh with some noise makers.

Matt, Nicole, and me

Jenny with the noise makers
(they give them out as you enter the stadium)

David Beckham is second from the left.

Thing number 5 was to take a creative class. Before graduation, I signed up for a summer pottery class, afraid I would be bored without having any classes (which turned out to be a silly thing to be worried about). But I think, so far, I have learned the most from this thing.

Pottery and I had a rocky start. I didn't really like it, mostly because I had no idea what I was doing and I was the only beginner in the class. But as the the class progressed, I really started to enjoy it. Pottery requires complete focus, patience, and feel. I found that as I only thought about the clay, feeling and guiding the clay to create, and not being in a hurry to finish, I could create somewhat decent pieces. This is something I am working on applying into other aspects of my life. It makes a huge difference. In the end, I was sorry not to be able to continue classes this fall; perhaps in the future.

A few of my pieces are here. I have a couple more to pick up this week. The red bowl is my favorite (the pictures don't do the colors justice).



1 comment:

Anne said...

Great job on the pottery. I think they look great!