Monday, December 19, 2011

A Christmas Tree Story

Christmas is my favorite time of year.

One year, I started putting up Christmas decorations after Thanksgiving was finished and went non stop all weekend: lights around windows, swag along banisters, trees with ribbon and baubles and handmade trinkets. I was quite possessive of the way the trees and the decorations went up. Christmas felt like my holiday, my time of year, a time I share with the Savior. I was supposed to be born on Christmas Eve, but came a couple weeks early, probably so I could take in all the twinkle lights for that extra time.

As I’ve gotten older, I don’t spend the whole weekend decorating. There were several years, when I was living with roommates, that we did very traditional trees, red and gold. It matched our lovely red couches.

This year, after looking at a few less desirable artificial trees, John and I bought a live tree. My. First. Ever. We found our lovely tree after much discussion and tree holding DSCN0453 (2)and wandering. A lovely 6-7 foot Fraser Fir. She smells divine. We brought her home and set her up, but we’re unable to trim her for several days. The appointed day arrived and I wanted the hours to go faster so I could get home. I thought about organizing all the lovely baubles my friend Brittany helped me to put together and even using paper airplanes and left over ribbon from the wedding. I was worried that the idea in my head wouldn’t, couldn’t come out. When John got home, we put on the lights. Happily John got distracted (did I say that?), so I was able to put the ribbon and the ornaments how I liked them. When I was done, she was exactly as I had pictured her. I added and old tablecloth for her skirt. She then told me her name was Myrtle.

For the first time ever, I’ve been able to put my tree topper on the tree. A pretty cream and glitter snowflake. I found it a couple years back. This year it’s extra special since I’m now a Flake.

Can you believe Christmas is almost here? We will be in Evanston, WY by the end of the week!

4 comments:

Tiff said...

Awesome tree! We're all looking forward to seeing you!

Chelsea Belle said...

Love the airplanes!!!! what a sweet, personal idea. And the snowflake top...love it.
You look absolutely beautiful Myrtle.

Jocelyn Robertson said...

Let me know if Myrtle needs company or watering while you're out of town. I can't wait to meet her. :)

Kathie said...

I think Myrtle is beautiful. Your excitement and expectations of Christmas have always been unbridled. It has always been a special time for you and Jenny.

Now as you start your own traditions with your family, it will be even more fun as you pass that excitement to your children and those around around you.

This is your first 'real' tree in your new life with John; both of you enjoy it to the fullest.

Love you muchly,
Mom

PS
Grandma Medlock had a few 'real' trees in the earlier years and we had 'real' trees until you were about five.