Thursday, December 22, 2011

It Happened At Christmas

As a birthday present, my husband gave me How the Grinch Stole Christmas. I was so pleased. My sister has this amazing collection of Christmas movie classics that I've missed having around. I do have a few: Elf, It's a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Story, Mr. Kruger's Christmas.

But lots of movies happen at Christmas: You've Got Mail, Serendipity, Home Alone, Little Women, The Shop Around the Corner. There are probably more, in fact I see listing for movies like Die Hard and Lethal Weapon. Never seen them. (For the record, It's a Wonderful Life just happens to end during Christmas. The reason it's shown at Christmas time so much is the people that owned the movie forgot to renew the copyright, so the networks were able to show it really cheaply.)

My husband and I have been deciding if While You Were Sleeping is a Christmas movie. I say it is, he says it's not.  I single this one out because it may be my favorite movie ever ("These mashed potatoes are so creamy!"); I can watch it a lot. I know it doesn't focus on Christmas, or Christ, or Santa Claus. But most of the movie takes place in the week between Christmas and NYE; the family invites Lucy for Christmas; they open presents and have Christmas dinner.

What do you think?


4 comments:

Tiff said...

I think we should watch it this weekend and make our hubbys endure a romantic Christmas Comedy :)

Sara said...

We keep While You Were Sleeping with out Christmas movies. And we watch it every year. It's a great one.

tishmcg said...

Sleeping... is a Christmas movie and so is Love Actually!

Chelsea Belle said...

If it makes YOU feel christmasy...then it s Christmas movie for you..I watch Little Women every year and it isn't pure Christmas either, but man I love it.

my fav line from While you were sleeping?
looks like he's leanin'

I'm due to re-watch that one for sure!

Glad to see you and your Persuasion reading husband don't agree on everything;)