Friday, November 2, 2012

What’s In a Name?

John and I picked out a name for our little dude a couple months ago but we’re still working out the middle name. We’re close, but I think that we’ll make the final decision at the hospital.

It’s in picking a middle name that I realized my preference for a family middle name. John suggested several lovely middle names, but they didn’t feel right to me. I figured out that because of the naming in my immediate and some of my extended family, I was used to family middle names. My parents both have their mother’s maiden names as middle names and Jenny and I each have one of our grandmother’s middle names (or a variation on that name).

We’ve kept the baby’s name a secret. My mom and sister try to trick me into saying it. My mom even pulled the grandma card in asking about it. So in the meantime, my parents and my sister have come up with nicknames for baby. And John still uses some of the joke names in the beginning.

  • Rupert/Rufus (Jenny and friend)
  • John Michael (mom – she thought she was using the grandpas’ names, but John’s dad’s name is James). She also sometimes calls him John David
  • He-Man (dad)
  • JTT (Jenny)
  • Rigoberto (John)
  • Baby Flake

At a shower recently, the guests were invited to suggest names for Baby Flake. Here are some of the funny ones:

  • “Dan”iel D. Ruff Flake
  • Francisco Freddy
  • Rayson Brandt Flake (it took me a minute to get this one!)
  • Lorenzo Snow Flake

John and his brothers love the name Daniel Woodruff Flake, which like the first suggestion from the shower, would make him Dandruff Flake. I stand adamantly against this name. While it’s a good name and the joke is funny, I don’t want the baby’s uncles to think his name is funny.

In just a couple weeks, we’ll be meeting this little boy, and we’ll give him his name. I’m so excited!

Want to guess what the name is? Or come up with other funny Flake names? Feel free to share in the comments.

2 comments:

Tiff said...

I don't blame you for not wanting to name him Daniel Woodruff. I really like the name Daniel, but the whole nickname makes it so I never want to name a son Daniel.

Jerilyn said...

Yeah, I agree, stay far far away from anything dandruff related. haha.

So excited for you, can't wait to see your little man!!!