Sunday, April 24, 2011

Rocks, Pebbles, Sand

I recently heard a story about a professor that stood in front of his class with a jar. He filled the jar with small rocks until they reached the top. He asked if the jar was full. The class said yes. He then took out a container of pebbles and poured them into the jar. The tiny pebbles filled in spaces between the rocks. He asked the class if the jar was full. They hesitantly said maybe. The professor pulled out a container of sand and poured them into the jar. The sand filled in the rest of the spaces. The professor declared the jar full.

This can be taken as a lesson on priorities. But it came to me as a lesson on giving. Often I'm afraid of giving too much. (This seems like a silly thing to be afraid off as I write it.) But I worry about running out of energy, patience, time, or imagining some sense of hurt if the service is not well received.

I realized, while listening to the story and it's application, that I shouldn't be worried about these things, especially the last one as the Savior will cover all of them. As I give, relying on the Savior, these things will never run out and it doesn't matter how it is received. He will replenish these resources and allow me to give more. He will always bless us as we strive to serve the people around us.

This Easter Day, I am grateful for the Savior and the choice He made to lay down His life so that we can repent and return to live with Heavenly Father some day.

No comments: