Monday, October 17, 2011

Ambitions

In a conversation with my husband this weekend about ambitions, I realized there are many things that I would like to do, but don't do because there is always someone that does it better. But how can I expect to be good at anything if I don't try just because someone already does something really well.

This has always been a sort of subconscious reaction to things in my life. It partly come from a fear (there I said it, it's a fear) of having to work harder than before, of failing, of not being good at something, maybe even the best at something. I want to be perfect at things and when that can't be reached, I'm discouraged. But honestly, who reaches perfection in everything? Only the Savior.

In a recent address to the women of the church, President Uchtdorf reminded women of 5 things we shouldn't forget. (It's a beautiful talk...read it if you haven't already.) The first thing he tells us is to be patient with ourselves. This includes not comparing our weaknesses to other's strengths, being grateful for the successes you do have, and knowing that the process of perfection is long but is done one step at a time.

Sure there are always going to be better writers, better crafters, better runners, better whatevers; it doesn't have to be about being the best, simply about being and becoming. Sure there will be some stumbles and some discouragement, but that can be part of the process. It will take some changes to priorities and some better time management, but one step at a time, I can do it. So here is to trying new things and being a little more diligent about current ambitions. (I may even have a new list of things to do soon.)

4 comments:

Sara said...

That is so very true. The other thing to consider is the progress you make on something. You may very well become the best at something, but not overnight. Thanks for posting. It's good to hear from you again (on the blog and in person!).

Jerilyn said...

I TOTALLY know what you mean. There are so many times I get excited about something and then I see someone who seems to do that same thing so well with such ease and such little effort that I feel stupid that in all my hard work, my result wasn't nearly as good. And all my excitement or ambition was for naught. Its so hard to remind myself not to compare! Its hard, but I need the reminding, and its sometimes doesn't hurt to know I am not alone in feeling this. But you are amazing and yes, here's to being a little more ambitious!

Blooming Mommy said...

I feel you on this one missy! It's hard sometimes for myself to not compare myself to others and their best. Thats when I have to remind myself that Im not perfect and as long as Im moving forward, thats all that matters!
I look forward to seeing you accomplish your ambitions! You are an incredible woman who I love so very much! Me Gusta Te Quero lovely! Muah!

Chelsea Belle said...

love this post. Amen! Amen! This doesn't just apply to new things, I have a hard time sometimes developing my current talents and interests, because I get discouraged by my past neglects or progress, especially when I compare to others. Ahhh, comparison, pride, envy...they're such weasely thoughts and feelings!
Confidence, humility, diligence are so much more satisfying, but take more conscience effort to maintain.
Developing and progressing is so exciting, when we can shake of the fear and self-doubt.

(do you giggle a little when your typed "my husband"?)